Re: "doc" option

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> writes:
>
>> Unless anyone objects in a week, I'll start adding "doc" option to packages
>> I'm interested to be stripped of installed documentation. First positions
>> in the queue are occupied by modular X.org packages. I'm not going to change
>> current state, default will be to install documentation.
>
> so doc option is in PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS, and
>   PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=               -doc
> will cause all of the not to a) build/install docs and b) depend on
> documentation tools?

Yes, where it is possible and easily approachable I'll try to avoid
building documentation as well.

>> If you have better ideas on how not to install documentation, speak up.
>> (One of alternatives is making packages obey NOMAN or NO_MAN setting.)
>
> pkgsrc is more than NetBSD, so hooking into BSD base system mk.conf
> seems to be asking for nonportable trouble.
>
> I suppose we could make NOMAN force the above default options, but I
> have a mild preference not to go there - I think it will lead to enough
> questions due to mysteriousness that it would be a net time cost for the
> community.

(I meant MKMAN as described in /usr/share/mk/bsd.README of course.)

I had no strong preference before your mail, now I see that having it as
an option makes the support more visible.

Another alternative is splitting documentation into separate packages
the Debian way, but I find it requiring more efforts from developers.
I don't think that it pays off.

--
HE CE3OH...