Re: Porting Pkgsrc to Minix

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 08:26:11PM +0530, Gautam B.T. wrote:
> Also we plan to integrate Pkgsrc into the base Minix system. Are there other
> systems that do this? BSD make is the default make on Minix. So I am
> thinking that adding pkg_install and libnbcompat to the base system should
> be sufficient. However doing this will mean that these packages will
> not be registered as packages in the pkgsrc database. Will this cause
> any problems?

I would actually advice *against* doing that. It creates more problems
than it really fixes. What DragonFly is doing in contrast to NetBSD is
to basically ship a pre-bootstrapped system. Including working versions
of many of the core tools is fine, but pkg_install is quite likely to
create issues on the next round of changes that with forward
compatibility.

Feel free to contact me if you run into problems with any part of the
core infrastructure, BTW.

Joerg