Re: make package weirdness in pkgsrc-2010Q1

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 08:14:49AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I agree with not having any magic fixups.  But arguably
>> DEPENDS_TARGET=package should cause an error with USE_DESTDIR=yes.
>> Perhaps anything other than "install" or "package-install".  Without
>> DESTDIR, legitimate values are "install", "package" and
>> "package-install".
>
> With DESTDIR there is practically no reason to explicitly set them.
> If you are using one of the few remaining packages that don't support
> it, spend your time fixing those. I will mark them as broken soon.
> Whether or not you want to keep the binary package is solved by calling
> package-clean similar to clean.

I agree there is no reason to set them.  However, for the last 5+ years
there has a been a reason to set DEPENDS_TARGET=package.  Therefore,
destdir mode really ought to either a) ignore that and do the right
thing or b) error out.  Otherwise destdir mode is causing a functional
regression.