Re: PRIVILEGED_STAGES vs. user builds

At Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:39:09 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: PRIVILEGED_STAGES vs. user builds

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:53:43AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > Shouldn't unprivileged builds simple ignore "PRIVILEGED_STAGES"?
>
> IMO the whole concept of privileged clean stage should be removed.

IIUC, and IIRC, this can only be done if those packages that write new
files(?)/directories to (or otherwise change ownerships in) the work
directory during the install stage.  I.e. files(?)/directories in the
work directory end up being owned by root and cannot be "cleaned" by the
unprivileged user.  Of course the correct thing is indeed to patch the
offending packages not to mess in the work directory during install, but
sometimes that's easier said than done.

Sorry, I don't remember which packages gave me such grief, and I haven't
done so many unprivileged package builds lately.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/