Re: emacs defaultdependencies seem excessive

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:52:25 +0900, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:

My proposal is to change PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS to remove

  svg
  gtk (and thus turn on xaw)
  dbus

As far as I know, current PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS set is came from
emace itself (those features are enabled by default in configure).

dbus only includes dbus and expat.  But, it's not clear that dbus
support in emacs is useful for much, and people who want it are likely
quite capable of PKG_OPTIONing it on.

dbus support is useful for certain elisp packages to communicate with outer.
But if you do not want to do it (emacs connect to something outside, information
leakage, and so on), you may want to disable dbus support.

And I know a man not want to use scalable fonts.

I use emacs on machines that are servers.  I do want X11 support, but I
don't want to pull in all of gtk2+ and the GNOME2 structured file
library.  (Perhaps we should have emacs-gtk, or perhaps this is another
argument for multiple option-flavors build being available in the
default binary set.)

You can create package emacs-x11, like emacs-no11.

The real question is how our users are best served.  My best guess is
that emacs users are more on the traditionalist side and that the
default build ought to be smaller.

If someone want to use traditional editor, why not select emacs22, emacs21, or
emacs20?
I think users who select newer emacs(-snapshot) want to use new features.

--
"Of course I love NetBSD":-)
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost