Re: Removal of Kerberos 4

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> However, zephyr can also run without authentication, although typically
> big realms don't do that.  So I don't think it should be removed.

Several of the zephyr galaxies have switched or started the switch to
K5 zephyr. I know not all have.

> Is the presence of the kth-krb4 package causing trouble?  I am in
> general opposed to the notion of
>
>  "I don't think anyone should be using X any more, so let's delete it."
>
> but
>
>  "It really seems that the last user has stopped, or there are now only
>  2 people, or ...."
>
> is fine.
>
> Your statement says both, so I'm not sure what the reality is.  I would
> bet that there are not a significant number of k4 users at this point.

MIT & CMU are still using K4. I don't know how many pkgsrc users are
at either school that need K4, however, so that's somewhat
meaningless. I know of smaller sites that are still doing K4 as well.
I don't have it disabled in my home realm yet, but I have moved away
from most uses.

-Tracy