Re: buildlink3.mk for devel/gettext-tools?

Joerg Sonnenberger writes:
- On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:30:35PM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- > From reading the localization class for the application, they're
- > using those functions to load the message catalog(s) into
- > memory so they can access them as needed.
-
- They are using the *source*? Not the *compiled* version of the catalogs?

correct.  As best I can determine, there is no iterator
available to permit loading all of the messages and their
translations at object creation time. (and they want to do that,
probably praying to the god of effiency.)

- > Puzzled or not? Is there anything wrong with adding that
- > buildlink3.mk file to devel/gettext-tools?  We obviously have an
- > application that currently depends upon one if the libraries.
-
- Yes, there is something wrong. It will create horrible pain at the very
- least on NetBSD.

Why?  Yes,  it means this application can never use the system
provided libintl.  However, as it stands, it can't use any
libintl implementation.

If I were suggesting the  incorporation of this transport
into base, I would be much more inclined to be more purist about
it.  But it's an application in pkgsrc.  It's already dependent
upon a third party implementation.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com