Re: buildlink3.mk for devel/gettext-tools?

Joerg Sonnenberger writes:
- On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:13:48AM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- > An XMPP transport I am attempting to package uses the
- > libgettextpo.so library to handle multi-langauge, multi-session
- > localization in the same process.
-
- I'm still completely puzzled WTF they depend on a complete
- implementation detail of a gettext implementation for that purpose.
- I mean what are they using a library to access the *source* for GNU
- gettext's catalogs for.

I don't have a good answer for that question.  I'm not the
author of the application in question.

From reading the localization class for the application, they're
using those functions to load the message catalog(s) into
memory so they can access them as needed.

And yes, that is "catalogs".  spectrum, as an XMPP transport, is
a single process, handling requests (via the XMPP, aka, jabber
server) for a multiple end users.  And I presume the idea is to
allow spectrum's own forms to be presented in the native
languages of the users without requiring a seperate process for
each localization..

Another answer is: they found the library on their Debian box,
thought it did what they wanted, and used it.

Personally, I've found trying to comprehend what other
developers think when developing software only leads to
headaches.. Especially when said developers thing that the only
UNIX like operating system is Linux.. :D (lets see, how does
that go?  "All the world is a VAX/Sun3/Sparc/ix86.." )

Does that help any?

Puzzled or not? Is there anything wrong with adding that
buildlink3.mk file to devel/gettext-tools?  We obviously have an
application that currently depends upon one if the libraries.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com