Re: pkgsrc RC scripts

On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

Hi all,
I am consider to make the RC script support in pkgsrc a bit more useful
out of the box with the following changes:

(1) Install pkgsrc RC scripts by default into /etc/rc.pkg.d, not
/etc/rc.d and adjust the default value for rc_directories accordingly.
This keeps the logical separation between base and pkgsrc RC scripts
and still allows /usr (or /usr/pkg) to be on a separate filesystem.

(2) Provide a default value of NO for the control variables. This
ensures that no stupid "Missing variable $foo" clutters up the boot
messages.

Both parts strike me as excellent ideas. However -- where will you put the default "NO" information? What about /etc/defaults/rc.pkg.conf?

Thinking further -- perhaps we should have /etc/pkg, and under it rc.d, rc.conf, mk.conf, defaults/rc.conf, etc.