Re: How do I discover the default PKG_DBDIR ?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 07:08:52PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> If there's no current way to extract this info, could one perhaps be
> added in the next version of the pkg tools?

I don't see why it should be added. This is a pretty internal part of
the package tools you should not mess with, so unless given a good
reason I don't see why it should be exposed.

> [Aside: if a method to do this gets added, rather than already there
> and I just cannot find it, I wouldn't object if it also made available
> the current values of other pkg related config vars - LOCALBASE,
> PKG_SYSCONFDIR, anything else like that - those I can dig out without extra
> support, but it would be easier if there was a simpler way than currently.]

pkg_install has no concept of LOCALBASE, PKG_SYSCONFDIR etc.

> [Random gripe: man pages which state things as facts, which are actually
> config options are horrid - even if the config option changing also causes
> the man page to alter - from the man page I'd like to be able to discover
> what I can actually assume to be true, not what just happens to be true
> this week ... that is, in the above quoted paragraph, I'd much prefer
> if the last line said something more like:
>              otherwise it defaults to a system dependent database
>            directory, which is /var/db/pkg for this installation.

This is IMO just harder to read for something that should be altered
only if you really know what you are doing.

Joerg