Bootstrapping on Solaris 8: ar and ranlib

I bootstrapped pkgsrc Q2/09 on a freshly installed Solaris 8 system. Before doing so, I added gcc_small-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local from sunfreeware.com. I bootstrapped using CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc, which I also added to mk/ mk.conf. Now that installation failed to build net/tnftp because it would not find ar and ranlib which are in /usr/ccs/bin. Sure, I could add that to my PATH, but I think there should be a way for pkgsrc to find it without doing so.
I added to etc/mk.conf:

CONFIGURE_ENV+=         RANLIB=/usr/ccs/bin/ranlib
CONFIGURE_ENV+=         AR=/usr/ccs/bin/ar
MAKE_ENV+=              RANLIB=/usr/ccs/bin/ranlib
MAKE_ENV+=              AR=/usr/ccs/bin/ar

this seems to do the trick, but probably it is not the cleanest of approaches. Would it be possible to have something like TOOLS_PLATFORM.ar and TOOLS_PLATFORM.ranlib?

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz%freenet.de@localhost  +49 151 11559652