Re: 5.0.1 pkg_install hang

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 06:19:53PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>>> On packages with lots of dependancies (e.g. cups), several packages will
>>> need to be fectched by hand, but not all of them.
>>> Did anyone else notice that ? has it been fixed later ?
>>
>> Consider using http, you might hit the session limit on ftp.n.o.
>
> The "old" FTP code made sure to just use 1 session, even when descending
> into dependencies... I guess this feature is gone?

The problem with using only one session is that you either need to
extract packages to a temporary location first (what the old code did)
or reopen the package when the dependencies have been processed.

The former has a different can of worms as it can require quite a lot of
temporary space (certain cases for Qt4 etc needed over 500MB).

The latter adds a number of complications that aren't nice either.

Where this comes from is the per-IP limit on FTP sessions which is a bit
too low for the really big meta packages.

Joerg