DEpending on a Perl Module included in lang/perl5

Importing various Perl modules into pkgsrc I often face the situaton where a
module the module-to-be-imported depends on is bot provided by the current
lang/perl5 and a seperate */p5-* package.
What's the preferred way of handling this? Should I depend on the seperate
package for the sake of older lang/perl5's or not, implying less dependencies?