Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/licenses

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:34:33 +0900, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:

> "OBATA Akio" <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

>>  * ruby-license itself is like a artistic license
>
> Interesting - I was not able to figure that out from reading it.

Matz said, "ruby's license came from perl's artistic license with some
modification".
And it seems that he want to apply more relaxed license than GPL to ruby.
(Why now GPL? because early ruby version contains GPLed regex library).

> I can see the point that people might want to avoid GPL for things they
> are redistributing, perhaps building into a product.  The license
> framework is not intended to enable such people to set a few variables
> and have their product be clean - it's just to avoid accidentally
> building software with objectionable licenses.

Hmm...I felt that new license framework is for such people...

> I haven't yet heard of anyone who has removed gnu-gpl-v2 from
> DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES as a seriously-intended way to be.
> (Presumably they've first removed gcc and ld and all the other GPL bits
> From their NetBSD system and are using some other toolchain :-)

DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES is just a recommended list.
We can set "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE=", not +=.
(and development environment != product environment :-)

>>  * I know some ruby-* packages just said "LICENSE is ruby's"
>
> In that case it's "GPL2 or ruby-license", because that is the license of
> ruby itself.  Plus the upstream should be asked to clarify if that's not
> really clear.  If a package says that the license is only the "alternate
> ruby license" (with no GPL2 option), then we'll need to express
> ruby-license in pkgsrc.

Yes, sometime unclear:
 * just said, "ruby's"
 * include copied ruby license file (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt)
   * just "under either the terms of the GPL", unclear v2? v3?
   * "(see the file COPYING.txt)", but no COPING.txt or itself is COPYING.txt...
 * ...

(I asked a ruby module's developer, he said that it intend to apply the license
 same as ruby's itself, then GPLv2, just forgot to add COPYING.txt.)

--
"Of course I love NetBSD":-)
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost