Re: handling of new user/group additions in binary packages is broken

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:34:52PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> What do you think of the idea of using the MTREE file to carry ownership
> (and permission) information instead of just leaving it to the archive
> header alone?

Not much, it is redundant. I will at some point either allow mtree like
format for the plist or generate a mtree file in pkgdb on installation.
As I am lazy that will not happen before the next libarchive update
(which includes code to read/write mtree similiar to the tar format).

Note also that packages that support user-destdir will have to use
SPECIAL_PERMS, so this is becoming less of an issue (and SPECIAL_PERMS
will be made smarter in the future too, so that it affects the tarball
creation).

Joerg