Re: Default compresssion format in pkgsrc & extensions

On Sun, 3 May 2009, David Brownlee wrote:
        Its a pit we can't use some higher compression format such as
        7zip's LZMA - some package sizes in gzip, bzip2 and 7z below

Why not? (naive question)
Those numbers sure look impressive...

FWIW, we started out with .tgz as that's exactly what's in a package. When I added .tbz it was to handle bzip2 archives. I'm not sure if differencing by name is needed by today's tar/pax. If it's smart enough to DTRT regardless of the extension, using a single extension is fine to me - I agree that the pattern you quoted is ugly, and takes needless cycles when resolving dependencies.

 - Hubert