Re: Version numbering of sysutils/lsof

Bernd Ernesti <netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost> writes:

>> The real problem here is that there are hidden dependencies on the base
>> OS.  Since pkg_rr is my hammer, I'd like to have these expressed and
>> have the OS upgrade process mark things dirty.
>
> I wouldn't call that a hidden dependency, but there are problems to prevent
> an installation of a binary package.

If a program in a binary packages links against /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.4,
how is that encoded in the package?

>> Looking at the lsof Makefile, I see OSVERSION_SPECIFIC=yes.  That should
>> stay, because it does actually record an OS dependency via a build def.
>> We just need a tool to set unsafe_depends on all such packages, to be
>> run after updating if the new kernel version differs from the recorded
>> one.
>
> What does this do and how is that related to a leaf package?

The unsafe_depends package variable says that a dependency of the
package has been 'make replace'd (and should also be set when a
dependency is "pkg_add -u'd).  This makes sense on packages that do not
depend on any other packages, because they still depend on aspects of
the base system.