Problems in assigning MAKE_PROGRAM

While playing with my wip/mk-configure and wip/lmdbg based on it,
I encountered one problem.

In short, mk-configure installs a number of mk files to
PKGSRC_PREFIX/share/mk which are needed to build lmdbg.
bmake is used for building.

Under NetBSD its own native /usr/bin/make is used for building
and it doesn't see mk-configure's mk-files installed to pkgsrc's root.

I decided to
   MAKE_PROGRAM=${PREFIX}/bin/bmake

But this doesn't work because MAKE_PROGRAM is reassigned in
tools/make.mk. As a dirty hack I set MAKE_PROGRAM after inclusion of
bsd.pkg.mk. This works perfectly but doesn't look good.

Q:
Is it possible to replace

   MAKE_PROGRAM=    ${MAKE}

line in tools/make.mk with

   MAKE_PROGRAM?=   ${MAKE}

Or MAKE_PROGRAM variable is not treated as a part
of public packager's API.

Another way is to add -m flag to MAKE_FLAGS but for me this solution
doesn't look good too.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.