Re: tar usage in pkgsrc

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:11:59AM +0200, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Seems that removal of pax from bootstrap broke at least some packages (my
> current bulk build is in very beginning).

Just to make sure this is not going in the wrong direction:
The problem is not so much that bootstrap doesn't include pax any
longer, but that pkgsrc/mk/tools/tools.${OPSYS}.mk provides the
definition for tar and pax now, they are no longer forcefully
overwritten in mk.conf.

> The problem seems to be that the tar from pkgsrc pax doesn't imply -p if
> running tar as root, but libarchive tar, gnu tar, the tar in solaris 10
> (and probably others) do. If a build is run as root, it might happen that
> there will be world-writable directories/files in packages.

I think those cases should be handled specially.
geda-examples for example already resets ownership. The alternative
would be to provide a mode/owner unpreserving tar via USE_TOOLS, which
does TRT depending on the platform, falling back to pax/bsdtar if the
platform doesn't have that.

Joerg