Re: how to replace err.h?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>
wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Jörn Clausen wrote:
>>
>> The current version of security/gnome-keyring does not compile on
>> Solaris 10 and older, because of the inclusion of err.h and use of
>> err, errx and warnx. I guess this is not the first time this problem
>> came up. What is the best way to deal with it, how was it handled
>> before?
>
> Maybe pkgsrc/pkgtools/libnbcompat can help.

Was the timing of thread "installing libnbcompat as static library"
just a coincidence? I saw that libnbcompat provides these functions,
but I agree with Tobias that it would be a bad idea to pull in the
complete library, if only three functions are actually needed. libucb
on Solaris has always been a kludge, and it took IBM^H^H^HSun nearly
two decades to let it go.

I find Tobias' idea quite compelling. I think libnbcompat is fine for
the pkgtools (or the fact, that the whole pkgsrc infrastructure is
very BSDish). But for end-user software, the amount of fixing should
be kept at a minimum. A "library" (*not* in the sense of "shared
object") of small groups of functions, with some mk-magic to include
what is needed easily, could help a lot.

--
Joern Clausen
joernc%gmail.com@localhost