Re: pkgsrc performance

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:08:31PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:09:15PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> > Joerg Sonnenberger schrieb:
> > > When I discussed a related problem with him, one reason that was given
> > > was to be able to distinguish direct and indirect dependencies. By
> > > changing the input like this, it would no longer be possible.
> >
> > The main point I wanted to suggest is to include every buildlink3.mk
> > only once. The distinction between direct and indirect dependencies can
> > be done in that code, too.
>
> No, you can't distinguish easily between
> gtk2 includes libX11 includes libXau
> and
> gtk2 includes libXau directly
> if you cut that away.

Just to explain one important case of where this matters:
Consider libX11 is a build-only dependency. This is recursive,
e.g. libXau gets build-only as default as well. There's also the case of
changing dependencies ("Cannot buildlink foo"), where cutting off the
tree completely without compensation would change the behavior.

That doesn't say the full recursion is needed, but you have to
compensate for the removal.

Joerg