Re: Is is time to rename firefox?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:47:10 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 01:23:31AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> >     So firefox3 installs as firefox and firefox2 as firefox2, updating
> >     everything that currently buildlinks to www/firefox to
> >     www/firefox2. Adding appropriate conflict lines may be fun....
>
> Yes, but why keep firefox2?
>
> It is not maintained any more, so an increasing security risk - I don't think
> we do anyone a favour in still distributing it.

I agree that firefox2 should go away as soon as possible, but first we
need to decide what to do with packages that buildlink firefox2.
In some cases there may be newer upstream releases that can use gecko
from firefox3.

At least these packages are affected:
x11/py-gnome2-extras
www/liferea
www/epiphany
misc/openoffice2
misc/openoffice3
multimedia/gxine
multimedia/mplayer-plugin-firefox
security/seahorse-plugins

Of the above, only openoffice has been updated to work with firefox3,
afaik. Beware that the pkg-config stuff in firefox3 hasn't been tested
much so there may be bugs waiting to be discovered there.

-Tobias