Re: Depending on a package with an option?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:48:30PM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > That approach is doomed to fail because if openldap-server hasn't been
> > installed beforehands, this test will fail when the user (or the bulk
> > builder) tries and invokes make in openldap-smb5pwd.
> >
> > Does openldap-smb5pwd really need openldap-server to have the dso option
> > (whatever that is) in order to *build*, or is it just a run-time
> > requirement?
>
> It is a run-time requirement. I realize I went the wrong direction.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to have a clearer picture
of the issue.

> Shall I just leave it without a test?

You also have the option to create a package openldap-server-dso that
would only provide that bit, and depend on it.  You still haven't said
what that dso option was :-)

The problem you're facing is not unknown.  Currently pkgsrc has no
provision to expose efficiently the options used for a package.
Warning about options dependencies at build time is one thing, but you
have to think of binary packages users, too.

I'm with Joerg on that one, if it's not a big deal, making that dso
option the default could be the easiest path, and you'd leave to some
other poor slob the issue of depending on options.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost