Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the week

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:17:43AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > Are we going to do a mass revbump in pkgsrc?
 >
 > Why is this any different that any other change, like base system
 > openssl bump?  If we revbump every package, should we be doing this for
 > every incompatible change in every OS pkgsrc runs on?  I don't think
 > we've ever (or certainly not usually) done this.

I think the last openssl bump in base was accompanied by a pkgsrc
revbump of all openssl-using packages. Or at least, I remember seeing
such a revbump and I think that was why.

 > One does need to build new packages when the OS changes, at least
 > sometimes.  But a revbump won't fix that, because people who rebuild
 > during the bump and then update to current won't get a rebuild.

Right. The intent partly is to make sure new binary packages get
built, and it does do that if the package builders update as
intended.

It is not a satisfactory method, certainly.

 > I think this is all pretty hard and not new and that we shouldn't force
 > fixing it simultaneously the time_t changes.

Indeed.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost