RE: destdir: 'make package' inconsistency

Greg Troxel wrote:
> I suppose that's technically true, but tons of people have been running
> 'make package' to get a package installed and packaged both for a long
> time.  The variable DEPENDS_TARGET encourages it.  So I think we should
> retain compatible behavior for this (reasonable) usage.  Right now having
> the bahvior change is a reason not to turn on destdir support.

Running "make install package" or "make package install" wouldn't be that
bad.  The two operations do not necessarily imply one another, though I'm
guessing most people building packages would do the install a vast majority
of the time.  Speaking as a user, the current behavior may be convenient,
but the convenience is small, and if I had to sacrifice it to get more
"correct" behavior then so be it.

(I've been trying to follow this thread, but I may not completely grok
DESTDIR, so take my comments with a grain of salt.)

Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!