Re: [RFC] KDE without arts

Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > * Is it OK at all? Maybe someone has fundamental objections?
> >
> > * It brings in lightweight audio framework aKode
> >  (http://carewolf.com/akode/) dependency into
> > multimedia/kdemultimedia3, allowing JuK to work even without arts
> > and/or gstreamer. (TODO: make it optional, although I don't like "yet
> > another option" for such lightweight stuff).
>
> AFAIU, arts is a part of KDE. Why break things up and replace arts with
> aKode? What benefit is there?

aKode isn't replacement for arts and is also part of KDE. aKode was part
of kdemultimedia up to KDE 3.4.x releases and was moved out (to
kdesupport module) after that as it is common for KDE modules which don't
have KDE dependencies. Arts has a akode module (to use decoding features
of akode) as well.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper