Re: GNOME: names for bindings meta packages wanted

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:52:35AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > The GNOME developers define a binding set, containing a few packages
 > each, for c++, java, mono, perl, and python.
 > What should we name the meta packages?
 > Prefix or postfix the language?
 >
 > So far I've come up with the following inconsistent set:
 > meta-pkg/gnome-bindings-c++
 > meta-pkg/gnome-bindings-mono
 > meta-pkg/gnome-bindings-java
 > meta-pkg/p5-gnome-bindings
 > meta-pkg/py-gnome-bindings

Judging by the example of "ap-php", as well as the various py-* and
p5-* packages, the model we already have is that "foo-bar" is widgetry
for foo that allows using bar.

Thus, java-gnome would be a package that allows using gnome in Java,
whereas gnome-java would be a package that allows using Java in gnome.
(I guess that would be a bonobo-level or ORBit-level wedge to allow
carrying gnome objects over Java RMI?)

So, I think, language first.

--
David A. Holland