GNU builds with separate source and object trees

Hi,
Some GNU software (such as GCC) is designed to build with an object tree outside the source tree.

Is there any support for this in pkgsrc? At the moment I am using Makefile fragments like
        CONFIGURE_DIRS=         ../build
        CONFIGURE_SCRIPT=       ../${DISTNAME}/configure

but it would be nicer if I could just set a single variable to get all of the requisite build phases run in the right directory.

The latest GCC seems to get a bit confused when building the traditional way with shared source and object trees.

Cheers,
Lloyd