Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:51:50PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> Then, it seems there is no reson to CREATE_WRKDIR_SYMLINK=yes by default
> these days.
> Does anyone have an objection to back to default=no?

I restored historical practice in my commit, which was previously
changed without prior discussion by joerg (and I don't believe there
was prior discussion, since the search engines can find no hits for
"symlink" during that period on tech-pkg).

Incidentally, I also don't buy the "it broke my Solaris bulk builds".
Mainly because it made me wonder how Solaris bulk builds had ever
worked previously, and because there was no explanation of what was
broken.

I also answered the objection about weird file systems.

In all, I see no reason to default to "no".

During this whole long, sad sorry process, I received a lot of what I
can only consider to be "hate mail" (not from Obata-san) after I
restored the previous behaviour; unfortunately, this made the position
I was in rather entrenched.  Sorry about that, folks, I'll do better
next time.  Not that there will be a next time, Joerg, all your
changes are discussed on public mailing lists in advance, right?

Right.

So to go back to the matter in hand.  It seems that I am in a
minority, though, and despite the fact that I disagree with it
(strongly enough to make my original change), and despite the fact
that the more excitable members of our community will take this as
carte blanche to send me more hate mail, I'll go with the flow, and
set the default to "no".

Monroy's law applies - there are no fairings.

Alistair