Re: pkgsrc selfhosting

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:44:40PM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
> Adam Hoka wrote:
> [---]
> >They are usually outdated packages, and they don't need mirroring but
> >updating.
> >If you find a file you cant fetch help us fixing it please. :)
>
>    Each time I install a fresh NetBSD system, I start out with an empty
> distfiles/ (yes, the social thing would be to copy over all the
> distfiles from another system; I'll try to get better at that). After
> some initial system configurations, I proceed to build a bunch of
> packages, and let it run over the night (typically takes 14 hours or so
> to build all my packages).
>
>    Unfortunately, when I wake up next morning, it's usually hung while
> attempting to fetch some package. Most often from www.gnu.org. I really
> hate when it happens; several hours of built time wasted. And it happens
> quite often (it's more or less guaranteed to happen at least once each
> time I start a batch build of all the packages I want). Obviously, the
> problem is quite rare once all the distfiles are downloaded.
>
>    Is there some priority system? I would like to try gnu.org, only as
> a last resort. And there are some other servers which also like to stall
> transfers.
>
>    Or, is it possible to make FTP timeout is the download has been
> stalled for five minutes?

I have this in my mk.conf:
MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE= \
        ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/
MASTER_SITE_BACKUP=     \
        ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/
MASTER_SITE_LOCAL=      \
        ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/LOCAL_PORTS/

This way distfiles are downloaded from the local mirror, and
fall back to the package's MASTER_SITE if not available from
packages/distfiles