Re: Native JAVA for NetBSD

On Saturday 26 July 2008 09:01:46 David Brownlee wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > what are people using to run JAVA applications and browser
> > plugins? I'd scsl-jre15 and scsl-jdk15 installed, but this
> > package appears to have vanished.
>
>       I've been using pkgsrc/wip/jdk15 for... a couple of years
>       now and been quite happy with it...

G'day,

thanks to all of you who have replied. I've since installed jdk15,
but still have problems running it properly.

I initially used Konqueror webbrowser to connect to the following
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Its a software defined radio streaming spectrum captured on 20M, 40M
and 80M amateur radio bands. After entering a callsign such as
VK5ABN, a control widget will appear that lets user "tune" into a
signal. The demodulated audio is than streamed to the audio output.

The interface appears to be working, but I fail to get any audio
output.

This is the output of the JAVA console:
==============================
Java VM version: 1.5.0_14-p8
Java VM vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java VM: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.5.0_14-p8
SecurityManager=org.kde.kjas.server.KJASSecurityManager@302e67
Konqueror Java Console Help
  c: clear console
  g: run garbage collection
  h: show help
  m: show memory info
  s: print system properties
  t: list threads
  x: empty classloader cache
waterfall -> start
waterfall -> start
waterfall -> start
waterfall -> starting thread
waterfall -> starting thread done
waterfall -> entering thread
waterfall -> starting thread
waterfall -> starting thread done
waterfall -> entering thread
waterfall -> starting thread
waterfall -> starting thread done
waterfall -> entering thread

and after this the following line is repeated infinitely:

sound -> getid
sound -> getid
[...]

With firefox, the browser receives the data and displays the
waterfalls. However, firefox control freezes to the point that only
the waterfalls work and the only way to stop is killing the
process. I've created a softlink for the plugin and also added the
java runtime parameters to disable ipv6, but had no luck getting
any output.

Opera doesn't like the java-plugin and refuses to work.

I'm running NetBSD-4.99.69 and KDE environment. Any ideas on what
else I can try to get it to work?

cheerio Berndt