Re: 2008Q1 -> current: downgrade

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 12:51:28AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> >     if the version number travels backwards (version number being
> >     dewey decimal, not numbers alphabetically-sorted), we will
> >     change the PKGBASE number.
>
> >     A worked example: wibble-2.03 is in pkgsrc.  It gets taken
> >     over by a new maintainer, who changes the version number to
> >     1.0, to denote the new regime.  The new version in pkgsrc is
> >     given the name wibble1-1.0.
> Both these variants break binary upgrades because SUPERCEDES
> functionality is not implemented in pkgsrc.

Not at all - wibble1 CONFLICTs with wibble - that is the level
of "binary upgrade" that pkgsrc deals with at the present time.

> > This is much less intrusive and annoying than having a separate
> > PKG_EPOCH value.
> No :-( Epoch approach is widely used and well-known in other packaging
> system.

Ah, the lemming principle - just because another packaging system
implements something in a weird and wacky way does not mean to say
that pkgsrc needs to do it.

Regards,
Alistair