Re: libtool failure on OpenSolaris

In article <20080630115340.GC794%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:09:04PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
: > [jpeg]
: > ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -O  -I. -c ./jcapimin.c
: > libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
: > libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
: > *** Error code 1

  With adding -x to all the wrapper indirections, I finally figured
out what went wrong: libtool is using /bin/sh, a very bad idea on
Solaris.  Using pdksh fixes the problem.

: Did you compile libtool itself with GCC? This means that libtool doesn't
: know the command and therefore which language you are using.

No, everything was built using pkgsrc and Sun Pro.  However, libtool
has gcc recorded as C compiler:

$ grep gcc /usr/pkg/bin/libtool
LTCC="gcc"
CC="gcc"
with_gcc=
[...]

  This works well when using pkgsrc's use of libtool (which always
presents a gcc through the wrapper framework), but using libtool
outside of pkgsrc might run into problems, since then the compiler is
called ``cc''.

                                yours,
                                dillo