Re: DESTDIR bulk build?

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:22:50AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> DESTDIR exists for more than year, but only about 30% of all packages
> supports it (PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT is in Makefile).  As you may know
> distbb supports DESTDIR bulk builds.  In order to make this support
> better, I can periodically run bulk builds under Linux (if anybody
> need it). Under Linux because I have no power machine running NetBSD,
> but I don't think this is a problem.
>
> How about DESTDIR hackaton?

If you want to get DESTDIR working, the only way is to make it on by
default, declare as BROKEN ports that don't agree with it, and fix the
fallout.

This is about what we did in OpenBSD, it was tough (not that tough though,
it took about a week to get 90% of all packages in shape).

Of course, we only had roughly 3000 ports at that time... the number has
grown quite a bit since then, but DESTDIR works 100% across the board, and it
takes about 5 minutes to get right for a new port.

Of course, this is a harsh approach. But this is the actual choice.

Either you keep it as a knob, and you will wait years until it works (and
people not using it will keep breaking it), or you turn it on unconditionally,
and make it work 100%. You just need a few dedicated people, and you can
have it working very quickly.