Re: gcc-3.x requirement and DragonFly

> There are some notable packages which have problems compiling with
> gcc-4.x, but compile and work fine with gcc-3.x. audio/festival and
> emulators/qemu are such examples.

I have the same problem under Debian Linux where I run bulk builds
using my own tool for distributed bulk builds - DISTBB.

http://mova.org/~cheusov/pub/pkgsrc-pbulk/Debian-etch/current/log/20080523.2239/META/report.html

I think I've found a way for distbb to solve this type of problems
without support from pkgsrc.

Background. There are two important variables in distbb.
Both are overridable in config file by user.

TARGET - list of targets to run, by default
'depends fetch checksum configure build install package deinstall'.

EXTRA_OPTS - list of variables assignments passed to bmake.
Example EXTRA_OPTS='BATCH=yes PKG_VERBOSE=1'.

I think the problem can be solved by setting these two variables
individually per package.

Example/plan:

  distbb_per_package.conf:
    PKGPATH=audio/festival
    EXTRA_OPTS=CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4 CXX=/usr/bin/g++-3.4

    PKGPATH=pkgtools/pkg_install
    TARGETS=depends configure build package package-install deinstall
    EXTRA_OPTS=USE_DESTDIR=full

As you can see this approach also allows to build pkg_install, bmake
etc. without any problem.

Any thoughts/ideas?

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.