Re: gcc-3.x requirement and DragonFly

Hasso Tepper <hasso%estpak.ee@localhost> writes:

> There are some notable packages which have problems compiling with
> gcc-4.x, but compile and work fine with gcc-3.x. audio/festival and
> emulators/qemu are such examples.
>
> DragonFly has two compilers in the base. Default is gcc-4.1.2, but
> gcc-3.4.6 is there as well. Compilers are switchable with environment
> variable CCVER:
>
> $ gcc -v 2>&1 | grep version
> gcc version 4.1.2 (DragonFly)
> $ export CCVER=gcc34
> $ gcc -v 2>&1 | grep version
> gcc version 3.4.6 [DragonFly] (propolice, visibility)
> $
>
> The problem is that I have no idea how to support it in pkgsrc. Of course
> I can do whatever locally, but I'd like to get pbulk builds to work as
> well, so this switch should be automatic. Any ideas, pointers etc?

IMHO ideally pkgsrc would be able to build/install various gcc versions
as well, with different paths, and could switch them, and extend that
switching to select among both DragonFly base system compilers.

I think so far the pkgsrc reaction has been to patch the offending
packages, but that may be hard.  I know I haven't gotten around to
fixing cfs which is in the same boat.