Re: bootstrap on already bootstrapped system not supported?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:25:25PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> Oh, I quite agree, and as the one who wrote the shell script which did
> the job of pkg_create and registered pkg_install's entries during the
> bootstrap process, I'm a bit mystified as to why you think that
> packages did not get registered during the bootstrap process.

I don't want to dig out my old bootstrap kits, but certainly not all
files (I think especially bmake and bootstrap-mk-files) where not
registered. pkg_install was the positive exception.

> And so to some practical suggestions - this is one area where I think
> we're not doing nearly as well as we used to.

I don't think running bootstrap again is a good idea or should even be
desirable.  The only reason to do that is because currently make update
doesn't handle enough state good enough to work. pkg_add -u works a lot
better (especially with the just committed pkg_install-20080603).

Joerg