Re: how to upgrade a whole machine ...

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

>> For single binary repository 'pkg_chk -b' is not so bad,
>> at least it supports pkg_summary(5) for ftp:// repository (in this case
>> it works rather fast). In case PKG_PATH=/local/path/to/rep
>> 'pkg_chk -b' works horribly slow because it doesn't use pkg_summary(5)
>> in this case even it is available (it is always true in my case).

        As of v1.91 pkg_chk (finally) started using local pkg_summary.gz
        iff it was the most recently modified file in PACKAGES/All

Hm. I missed that. Thank you.  But I'd prefer to run my own tool
(e.g. 'pkg_update_summary -r') in case there are binaries newest than
summary file. Is it possible for you to implement this possibility?

        So you would like pkg_chk to check for any binaries newer than
        the pkg_summary file and run another command if found?

        The 'skip pkg_summary if newer binary package' is not a failsafe
        option - it can fail if a package has been delete or if something
        has been copied around preserving timestamps, does pkg_update_summary
        have a 'quick check and update only if necessary' option?