Re: how to upgrade a whole machine ...

On 08/05/2008, at 10:31 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Aleksej Saushev wrote:

Since the script is intended to be simple, why it should go with the
base system? pkgsrc has to be fetched by hands anyway.

pkgsrc is for "build from source".

Using pkgsrc source means "build from source" your own binary packages.

I question whether or not most pkgsrc users (or developers) have really tried using pkgsrc binary packages only.

Run NetBSD (without comp.tgz and no pkgsrc.tar.gz extracted to the system) + pkgtools + binary packages from ftp.netbsd.org for a while and see how long it takes you to decide it is really hard. Wait until you have to upgrade a netbsd release or to a newer stable branch and see how much harder it becomes.

I now do what most others do these days. Build packages from source using pkg_comp keep a copy somewhere and very carefully upgrade from them (for stable branch updates) and for NetBSD release updates I just rebuild the whole machine from scratch and swap it out with the one being upgraded.

Tyler