Re: DESTDIR=full?

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:31:44PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> > One reason for this is that USE_DESTDIR=full works by overriding the
> > file system permissions and nothing currently tags the permissions
> > and ownership in the PLIST. This should be changed and one positive
> > side effect is that auditing for s[ug]id binaries can be done much
> > easier.  SPECIAL_PERMS is another workaround for that.
> Ok, specifying permissions in PLIST or somewhere else may be better
> than METALOG approach for a number of reasons.
>
> Is format of pkgsrc packages documented somewhere?

Not much. pkg_create(8) is a start, but I strongly advise to discuss use
of features not currently active *before* doing that. Some of them will
be dropped. The order of files is currently not documented, but it will
be enforced soon (it is enforced by pkg_info already), so be careful
when not using pkg_create.

> But I hope to see pkgsrc ready for fully unprivileged bulk builds in
> future (including 'make bin-install|package-install' and 'make depends'
> phases). And... without need to set PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT
> variable for each package, that is, without PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT
> variable at all.

The problem is that until all or most packages do support it either the
positive or negative version is needed. The meaning can be inverted once
95% or so are converted, but it is a long way until that...

Joerg