Re: pkg-config trouble

In article <20080220195429.GB626%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:00:07PM +0100, Tobias Nygren wrote:
: > I've run into some trouble with pkg-config and fontconfig on IRIX
: > when playing with X11_TYPE=modular. As you may know, IRIX doesn't
: > have transitive runtime linking, e.g. the whole tree of library
: > dependencies must be specified on the command line when linking.

: Same problem for AIX. One approach is to add a way for the wrapper
: framework to *add* libraries, e.g. IF -lfoo is found, ADD -lbar after
: that. With that buildlink3 can be used.

: > I believe the fontconfig.pc is wrong and should express need for
: > additional libraries, specifially -lexpat -liconv -lfreetype2 -lz.

: It is doesn't cover those cases not using libtool and not using
: pkg-config either. Otherwise I have no major objection.

  I do: It adds hidden dependencies on expat, iconv, et al.  If
fontconfig were later updated to a newer version that doesn't use one
of these libraries (yet is ABI compatible), a binary package of
ghostscript would be broken.  While there may be no way around that on
IRIX (and AIX), it is not necessary on more capable platforms.

  So I think the best approach would be to use the buildlink3
framework to add the -l flags and dependencies on platforms that need
this.

                                        yours,
                                        dillo