Subject: packages outside of /usr/pkg (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc
To: Julio Merino , <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 14:37:25
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2002/05/22/0003.html

Yes, I meant to mention, e.g., tetex's installation of fonts in /var as
something that irks me.  Fortunately, my / partition has much more space
than it requires, so I can afford 20MB or so for tetex's texfonts dirs.
But given NetBSD's tendancy towards a small / partition, I think that
using /var as a dumping ground for tons of font data is a bad idea for a
package.  (Regardless of organizational issues of whether package
configuration/management data should be kept in /usr/pkg.)

Other than /var/run/ files (small, transient files), I am not aware of any
packages using /var/ files as their private databases, however.  (I don't
really care about /var/run/ files one way or the other, personally.  I
suspect that people would violently object if packages had those moved.)

What /var/ files did you have in mind?