Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 09:57:08
On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:58:09AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Check the message cited above.  Therein, he agreed that the existing
> pkgsrc feature will probably do what he wanted, and suggested that it be
> made the default.  (If the feature doesn't work, I'd try Dave's suggestion
> of a symlink.  In fact, I'd try that *first*, since it doesn't require
> rebuilding anything, nor does it require any maintenance of pkgsrc options
> over time. )

I'm starting to recompile packages and fix them to use PKG_SYSCONFDIR.
This seems the Right Way(TM) to go.

> I just don't think that scattering pkg stuff all over the filesystem
> *by*default* is a good thing.

Well, this seems good. Although, I have seen several packages touching
my /var directory, a thing that I do not like. Shouldn't they be fixed, so
they use /usr/pkg/var *by*default*?

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>