Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2000 07:52:54
On 08-Sep-00 David Brownlee wrote:
>        We have two dependencies - the existing build dependencies, and
>         the 'binary' set.
>         eg: build may be lib>=1.1, and if you build against 1.1 then
>         then binary dependencies are lib>=1.1. But if you build against
>         1.2 then binary dependencies should be lib>=1.2

I think the real solution is to allow multiple versions of pkgs containing
libraries to coexist in some manner..  Ie..lets say I install jpeg...

I get binaries.. like cjpeg.. and I get libjpeg.so.x.x..  so when I "upgrade"
it whacks the binaries, replaces them.. and installs the new library.  then it
moves the PLIST stuff for the library over to the new jpeg pkg.. so the in-db
copy of the jpeg plist now reads something like:

cjpeg
libjpeg.so.1.0
libjpeg.so.1.1

Then old binaries relying on libjpeg.so.1.0 just continue to work.  Or is this
no longer workable in ELF?

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>