Re: Support for 240/4 and 0/8 addresses in NetBSD

On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 05:00:26PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> Currently working at an ISP, my impression is that freeing the 0 address
> in each subnet might be the most useful of the proposals, since lots of
> customers of ours who have their own address ranges have very small
> ranges, such as /29, where the loss of one address per range is
> relatively big.

Supporting the all-zero address is somewhere between trivial and needs a
patch, but it is general a very local concern. As in: only routers
directly involved and the systems on the network need to support it. I
think NetBSD and FreeBSD support it either out of the box or have a
sysctl for it. I have a patch for Illumos that implements it, it's also
very simple.

Joerg