Re: Capturing packets when no IP address is assigned to the capturing interface

jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost (Jason Mitchell) writes:

>address on the tap) didn't work for him. I read that some (most)
>wireless interfaces don't support bridging. I wonder if that's the
>problem in his case. Here are the two links about wireless not
>supporting bridging:

>https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking#Public_Bridge

>https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode?s%5B%5D=bridging#bridged_client_mode_issues

For bridging to work, an interface has to send and receive packets
with arbitrary MAC adresses. That doesn't work with your regular
Wifi protocol where the MAC adress is used to identify a client.

Wifi interfaces that support hostap mode could act as multiple
clients to make bridging work. Another possibility is WDS that
is used by wireless repeaters. Either needs software support.

>Does this also apply to NetBSD?

Indeed.