Re: Updating the Networking Section of the NetBSD Guide

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 01:03:44PM -0500, Hector wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 16:12:59 +0000
> nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm doing my best to bring the "Networking in practice" section of
> > the guide into the current decade, since the guide is very outdated and
> > focused on Dial Up and IPF rather than NPF.
> >
> > http://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-net-practice.html
> >
> > I'm not a networking expert and I only know enough to configure a basic
> > SoHo router so I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions of things to add.
>
> I agree that this section of the Guide needs some improvement.
>
> I suggest a section on how to set up a WiFi Access Point with hostapd.

I agree. I can do this.

> I suggest a top-level section on IPv6. Currently the only brief
> mention of IPv6 is misplaced inside the section on PPPoE.

I don't know enough about IPv6 to feel confident writing this but
I can add text from others.

> I also suggest that the section on firewall at least mention pf. It is
> premature to pretend pf no longer exists and that npf is a complete
> replacement for it.

I do not want to mention things that are excluded from the default
kernel due to having open vulnerabilities. It would be better to
mention IPF, but even the future of that is not good.