Re: Applying the inet6 ND state engine to inet4

On 13/07/2020 03:28, Andy Ruhl wrote:
On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
My inital plan was and still is to keep it in the kernel but make the state
engine family agnostic so that we can retire the clumsy ARP one.

This is an interesting idea. Is any other operating system doing this?

Not looked at the code, but I'm pretty sure Linux does this also.
`ip neigh` shows reachability states for IPv4 addresses.

ARP is indeed troublesome. Would it reduce chatter? I guess I haven't
really compared traces of ARP vs. IPv6 ND though. I've noticed hosts
find a way of all doing ARPs at the same time for various reasons.

NetBSD (or any OS using dhcpcd) does more chatter on ARP due to Duplicate Address Detection because the standard says 3 probes whereas IPv6 says 1 probe. Although I would like to reduce the probes to match, I don't plan on doing that change with this work.

Roy