Re: kernel frameworks for jumbo frame

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:14:54PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  I'm not saying anything that anyone here doesn't already know,
> but I'll add that Linux seems to have taken the position that all ethernet
> interfaces should be called eth0, eth1, etc.

This argument surprises me a bit, as Linux has moved *away* from doing
exactly this a few years ago...

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

(if you use udev, but that's the default for all major distributions,
not tied to systemd)

Personally, I'm a bit torn on what is "the best" thing.

On a system that only has one ethernet card, it's highly annoying
that I have to figure out if this is a "em0" or "igb0" - or an
"eno1" vs. "enp0s25" (both "onboard ethernet 0", but BIOS tables
leading udev to believing the second one isn't).  So "eth0, always"
would be very convenient.  Or possibly "eth0" for "wired ethernet"
and "wifi0" for wireless - as that's a common scenario.

For a system with multiple ethernet cards (server with frontend/backend
networks, or firewals, or routers) naming *stability* is a must - having
"em0" and "em1" swap their numbers at upgrading is as disruptive as
"eth0 and eth1 get swapped because one card had to be changed and the
other driver loads first".  So here, something based on bus numbering
might be best - stability trumping convenience...

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost