Re: wpa_supplicant(8) control socket enabled by default

On Feb 4,  3:28pm, Roy Marples wrote:
}
} Moving this discussion onto tech-net.
}
} Summary - I added a default configuration for wpa_supplicant which
} enabled the control socket. With this enabled wpa_supplicant will
} default the group owner to the group owner of the top level directory
} where it resides which is normally wheel. To clarify this, I set the
} socket group to wheel in the default config as well.
}
} This will only affect new installations as existing setups already have
} their own wpa_supplicant.conf(5) and wheel defaults to no members and
} whose only purpose before now was to allow su to root.
}
} Maya pointed out this relaxed the default privs from what we used to
} ship and a conversation then ensued.
} https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2019/01/12/msg010932.html
}
} mrg was the only out right dissenter of this change:
} https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2019/01/13/msg010941.html
}
} Greg suggested a wpa_supplicant group:
} https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2019/01/13/msg010937.html
}
} Although Robert was against this idea:
} https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2019/01/14/msg010943.html
}
} Jason suggested that using ttyaction(5) could chown the the socket as a
} hackish alternative.
} https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2019/01/14/msg010948.html
}
} The overall feedback was generally positive, but I would like to guage a
} wider audience, hence now posting this here as the original conversation
} on source-changes-d has now stalled.
}
} Here are the options as I see them:
} 1) Keep things as they are now
} 2) Change the default group
} 3) Turn off the socket
} 4) Add config option to explicity set socket mode
} 6) Change the socket mode to revoke group access and use ttyaction
}
} The last option would also need to introduce a new configuration option
} upstream.

     I'm not overly fussy with which way it goes.  However, I am
against the idea of using ttyaction as networking configuration
has very little to do with who's logged in.

}-- End of excerpt from Roy Marples